Well, it’s an ongoing debate, pointed out longtime resident Sarah Linnes-Robinson. She’s the executive director of the Kingfield Neighborhood Association. The city calls the neighborhood King Field in many official documents, but also calls it Kingfield in unofficial ones. other debate is to if it named after the park, or named after Colonel William S. King’s fields where the cows roamed (see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._King where they say it is the latter.)
Sometimes you will also see it called Kings Field, and typically this is in reference to the park that is now officially named the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King Junior Park. That was an entirely separate debate.
WHO WAS WILLIAM S. KING?
William Smith King (Dec. 16, 1828 – Feb. 24, 1900) was a Republican U.S. Representative for Minnesota from March 4, 1875 to March 3, 1877. He was a journalist and businessman. King was born in Malone, N.Y, and became a farmhand at age 12 when his mother died. He moved to Minneapolis in the summer of 1858, and founded a weekly newspaper, the State Atlas. He became known for his strong editorials and columns opposing slavery. He helped create the Minneapolis Tribune, was a major stockholder in the Pioneer Press, and (likely) a principal owner of the Minneapolis Journal. He served one term during the 44th congress as a U.S. Representative, and was a member of the Minneapolis Board of Commissioners. In 1877, he built a large pavilion at Lake Calhoun/Bde Maka Ska, that was eventually destroyed in a fire. He helped organize the Lakewood Cemetery Association (where he is buried). His 1,400-acre estate named Lyndale Farm was home to a herd that included some of the finest breeds of cattle.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here