In the next few years, Minneapolis Public Works staff plan to reconstruct the intersection of 38th & Chicago. Here is some information from the city along with links to webpages.
In 2020, George Perry Floyd Jr. was murdered at 38th & Chicago, forever changing the intersection and surrounding community. This area is known as George Floyd Square (GFS), and it has evolved beyond its original roadway design.
Learn more about the history of George Floyd Square
Project engagement goals
- Allow for racial healing
- Honor the voices of the Black Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) community
- Develop community relationships
- Work together with the community to make decisions about the project
- Lead an engagement process to work and learn together with the community
Project design goals
- Redesign the street to reflect community needs
- Include space within the public right-of-way (ROW) for community use
- Explore transit and pedestrian design options
- Maintain access for residents and businesses
- Include trees and native plants
Read more about this project in our project fact sheet.
No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here